All great leaders keep working on themselves until they become effective
This one got me. I like the way Jim Rohn described each qualities by noting what quality leaders shouldn’t have to be or do.
He tells us that every quality leader need to develop the following 7 qualities.
- Be strong but not rude. Don’t mistake rudeness for strength. It’s not even a good substitute.
- Be kind but not weak. Don’t mistake kindness for weakness.
- Be bold but not a bully. It takes boldness to win the day. A leader must be ready to take the first step.
- Be humble, but not timid. You can’t get to the high life by being timid. He described humility as a grasp of the distance between us and the stars, yet having the feeling that we’re part of the stars. So humility is a virtue; but timidity is a disease. Timidity is an affliction. Leaders who want to be great can’t afford to be timid.
- Be proud but not arrogant. It takes pride to win the day. It takes pride to build your ambition, but the key to becoming a good leader is being proud without being arrogant.
- Develop humor without folly. In leadership, it’s okay to be witty, but not silly. It’s okay to be fun, but not foolish.
- Lastly, deal in realities. Deal in truth. Save yourself the agony. Just accept life like it is. Life is unique. Some people call it tragic, but I’d like to think it’s unique. The whole drama of life is unique. It’s fascinating.